Happy Friday, everyone!! I've been in such a daze the last few weeks so I'm just going to apologize right now for my lack of being present! I'll let you know why later :)
A couple of days ago on Instagram I noticed that someone I didn't know had tagged me in a post and when I went to check it out I found that it was a nomination for the Liebster Award. So cool! I had to look it up because I'd never heard of it but here's what I found:
I was nominated by Madison of keepingthecreativity.com! Madison, thank you so much!! It really means a lot to me to have my work noticed by another blogger.
I'm going to follow the rules of the nomination in stages because I don't have time today to do all of it (must be at work soon!). Today I'm just going to answer the questions Madison asked and I'll come back later to create my own questions and tell you 11 things about me and nominate other bloggers. (I feel like such a rebel breaking the rules!)
Madison, here are the answers to your questions:
- What is the purpose behind your blog? The purpose behind my blog is to inspire creativity in others. Dani and I want to help others live the most creative life they can while either working "normal" full time jobs or working a creative full time job.
- How did you come up with your blog name? This Is Not That initially came from several conversations with a close friend of mine. We would misunderstand each other and when the other person caught on we would say, "oh no, I know what you're saying, but this is not that." It was our way of reassuring the other person that what we were saying and thinking and feeling, while maybe similar to a past situation, was not the same. Those conversations stayed with me and made a huge impact on me when I decided to start putting myself out into the world in a more creative way. I would always think, "there are so many photographers already," or "eeeveryone has a blog, I have nothing new to add," and then I would think, "you know what? That's ok. It's ok that everyone else seems to be doing what I'm doing. It's not the same because we are not the same." This, this thing that I am doing here, living life, this is not the same as that person's life. This is not that.
- What is your go-to social media platform? Instagram is by far my favorite but it's actually the one I'm least active on for my blog (oops!). I only use Instagram and Facebook but being a photographer makes me much more drawn to Instagram.
- How long does it normally take you to create a post? It depends on how motivated I'm feeling ;) I've been working on a post for almost a month now because it's just so personal that it's hard to finish it but usually it only takes me about 30 minutes.
- What is an area of your blog you want to improve or work on? I want to incorporate my photography into the blog more. So far I've mostly just sourced images from Pinterest or some stock photo sites and I really want to get more of my work out there. It's been hard since it's a part of my own creativity and the fear of rejection is strong!
- What tool do you think every blogger should have? Evernote! Does that count as a tool? :-P I love Evernote. I write all of my posts in it first and then transfer them over (after I've sent them to Dani for proofing - except this one because I waited too long!). Oh and you guys should listen to the interview Tim Ferriss did with Phil Libin, co-founder of Evernote, it was really good!
- What is your favorite smart phone app? Instagram and VSCO are the apps I use the most. I'm not really that into apps but I do use those everyday. VSCO is my favorite photo editing app by far.
- What is your favorite item of clothing in your closet? Good question! I have this convertible pantsuit from Seamly.co that I absolutely LOVE. It is so so so so sooooo comfortable and classy, I love it. I found out about it from a periscope Hilary Rushford did!
- Who do you bounce ideas off with the most and why? Dani! Because she's my blogging partner and she knows me really well and can help me figure out what will work and what wont and she keeps me accountable to the mission of the blog and what we want to accomplish with it (sorry this sentence is so long, Dani!).
- How do you relieve stress? I love to cook as a way of relieving stress. That or driving around listening to music. I also really enjoy walking around our downtown area. Basically anything that I can do alone... :)
- Guilty pleasure TV show? I don't know if I have one! I don't really feel guilty about any of the shows I watch, haha, I just embrace it! One of my favorite shows of all time is Gilmore Girls. I also love watching Grey's Anatomy. I'll watch the whole show on Netflix and then start it all over again. It's pretty awesome!
OK! Sadly that's all I have time for today but check back soon for 11 facts about me, the 11 questions I want to ask other bloggers and the 11 bloggers I'm going to nominate! Madison, thank you again for thinking of me!